Tuesday 21 February 2012

It's Pancake day!!



It's Pancake Day, which means to it is time to start cracking the eggs and mixing up the batter. I love pancakes although I usually tend to eat them for breakfast on the weekends, when I am having a fat-day, than on a Tuesday afternoon for tea - but I prefer to eat them sweet rather than savory by adding some strawberries and raspberries.

Pancake day is another name for Shrove Tuesday, which is the last day before the start of Lent, that means the last day to indulge in the food that will be forbidden for next several weeks leading up to the start of Easter. Pancakes are traditionally made in regard to celebrating Shrove Tuesday with egg, flour and milk which are the ingredients that are forbidden to eat during the fasting of Lent. This festival is celebrated within the Christian faith and how it is now time to reflect on making a small sacrifice and being more self-giving to others.

Ingrediants: Egg, Flour, Milk, Cocoa Powder

Firstly you would need a large mixing bowl where you will add your flour, egg and milk. The batter needs to be smooth, no lumps, so get your arms ready for some fast whisking. I then add some bournville cocoa to the batter for the chocolate taste. I have learnt in creating the perfect pancake is to make the pan hot with a bit oil and covering the pan with a thin layer of the batter mix. The pancake will start to form then get ready to flip it over to brown the other side.  Pancakes are at its best when they are wafer thin so less batter is always more, although practice makes perfect. It is also nice to finish it off with some fresh fruit. So get ready to flip some pancakes.


My very own chocolate pancake reciepe is a favourite with my young children.



Home-made Pancake with my favourite fruit.


3 comments:

  1. This is very interesting Nadine - and the chocolate pancakes are new to me: I must try them. I like the design of your blog - very lively.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the photo's Nadine... My personal fav is to have pancakes with a huge amount of nutella in the middle! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nadine love your pancakes! Will definitely try these! Just as much as I love chocolate I would definitely want to try and make pancakes with cinnamon but am unsure what it would go nicely with. Can you recommend anything? :)

    ReplyDelete